Hello. Thank you for coming here to read about me. My name is Deborah Emmanuel and I am a creatrix. From classical Latin, the word creātrīx means mother, creatress, an authoress of a situation. The creatrix gives birth to her creations. This is how I feel when I make art. So much of my work is born through an experience of pain; inner disharmony which eventually transforms into a beautiful living object. For me, everything is alive, even what is commonly perceived as inanimate.
Since I was a child there were poems which were scribbled in secret. I did it when the emotions grew so big they had to spill out of me. There were so many experiences which I struggled with, and I learnt early on that the only way to remain sane is to express what I am feeling in order to observe it. Of course, this didn’t result in knowing any answers until I was much older.
I did not know that writing would become the foundation of my work. When I was a teenager, I wanted to be an actor and so have received formal training (if you’re into that stuff) in applied theatre and performance with institutions like Lasalle-SIA College Of The Arts (Singapore), the Singapore Repertory Theatre and Griffith University (Brisbane). This training helped me to develop the fundamental performance abilities visible in my live work.
Soon after my pursuits in theatre, I discovered that I did not only want to be an instrument to tell the stories of others. After all the trauma I have experienced and all the survivors I have met, it has become clear that the agency to tell our chosen story is of utmost importance. Thus began my path to tell the stories I want to tell. These days I do this with music, movement, theatre and of course, lots of writing.
My purpose as an artist and human being is to serve, and everything I make is an offering in some way. Sometimes I offer something deeply personal in the form of a poem which people might resonate with. Sometimes I offer my knowledge to others in the form of workshops. Sometimes I conduct healing sessions. Sometimes I offer a life reflection on social media. Sometimes I work with diverse clients to manifest their goals. I even hosted a TV series in 2019 for the first time! Look out for it – it’s called Show Me The City on Channel News Asia. Commercial work has become valuable to me for mainstream recognition and the resultant financial sustainability. I am finally able to acknowledge this without shame 🙂
What am I focused on right now?
- writing stories for a manuscript – a short story collection with paranormal, otherworldly themes
- touring and promoting my illustrated poetry collection Genesis – something I am proud of making since I thought I couldn’t draw until a few years ago
- making music with my long-term collaborator Kiat. you should check out our latest release Polymorphism
- making music with my band Mantravine. you should check out our YouTube channel
- learning how to play the keys and piano
- painting and drawing
- developing as a shaman. many of my clients have already had profound experiences, visions and sensations while working with me
- developing as a QHHT and BQH practitioner. in this work I conduct a recorded hypnosis session in person or remotely to guide my clients through remembering past lives and into conversation with their deepest selves, their subconscious